9/24/15

How Much Tech Is Too Much In Time Travel SFR?




'
There are numerous things that need to be done on this blog. And it needs me focused here to update my friends on what is happening with my straight up SFR stories. (which have nothing to do with my continued fondness for the new Soul-Love Series)

First up, when I fell out of my direction and into the abyss of life, I was working on a killer time travel series set partially in the 12th century. One of these stories actually tied for a 1st place award for best SFR story and blurb.

A few days ago, I pulled up the not quite finished time travel series and even amazed myself with the detail, the settings, the background, the actually believable scientific way time travel happened between the 23rd century and the 12th century in the first book. And more. Basically the stories center around stopping those from changing or destroying timelines and putting things back the way they should be. Hardly ever can happen though, according to theory.

Coined first by H.G. Wells in his iconic story, The Time Machine, we have been fascinated with the subject ever since. TV shows and movies picked it up and featured it in series like Star Trek and Stargate. But what is time travel and the scientific theories surrounding it? 

Just to touch a little on the current theories about time travel, once a line is disrupted, it is never the same, what is set in motion is ripples, which will continue but on a different track (here we go with string theory) but not the same as before. These ideas can get really complicated. I am pretty much a stickler for keeping to the research as well as can be.

But if you are going to have that all important R in the SF you have to take a few liberties with science. So if my hero knight from the 12th century and my time travelling heroine from the future happen to fall in love, well, that has got to change things like timelines and such.

I will add here that my heroine in this story didn't just get thrust back into the past by some unknown vague thing, which is the usual way it happens in time travel romance. She is a scientist whose job is keeping timelines in tact. While working, she gets trapped in the 12th century trying to stop a bad guy who is mucking up various timelines. That's not to say that my 12th century medieval research wasn't just as in-depth.


Okay she does get involved with that sexy hero knight, but against her better judgement. She just can't stop her primitive attraction from emerging. And in her defense, she is trying to protect the hero's way of life when it happens. There is a bunch of SF in this story. Including the use of, let's see, Laser Blasters? 

So the bad guys who don't care about keeping the timeline safe start the battle using futuristic weapons, So yeah, she has to fight back, you know. And how can she do that unless she can level the playing field? But this is romance after all. Thus the SFR tag for Science Fiction Romance. Still its kind of a fun SF adventure too. 

I remember how much I enjoyed working on it, writing it, doing the research and making sure it flowed the way it should. The first two stories, yet to be published, are ready for working and not too far from finished. They need lots of edits, rewrites and layering, as well as insightful input from critique partners. In my opinion, crit partners are an author's saving grace. They can spot things you can miss and help flush out plot holes, areas that don't work and give you ideas to make the story better.

Thoughts to ponder:

With all this said, the question is, can I work on two distinctly separate focuses at the same time? Lots of writers do. But I'm not other writers. I tend to give my complete undivided focus to one project at a time. And then there is all the promoting of a new series, etc. I don't even know if I can convey how much I love soul-love and my characters Nick and Krista. They are a part of me like no other characters before, and in ways hard to imagine. And keep in mind too that Remember Him Yesterday (Nick and Krista) is a romance that also has SF elements.

But still, working a little on the time travel may not be a bad idea after all...

Kaye



No comments: